Enter your keyword


If you wish to stay in New Zealand and work after you have finished your studies, you will need the right visa.The study to work pathway has two steps: Post Study Work Visa (Open) and Post Study Work Visa (Employer Assisted).Gaining work experience

Post Study Work Visa (Open)

The Post Study Work Visa (Open) allows you to find a job that is relevant to your qualification. It’s valid for 12 months, and during this time you can work for almost any employer in New Zealand. After you have found a job relevant to your qualification you can apply for a Post Study Work Visa (Employer Assisted).

Post Study Work Visa (Employer Assisted)

The Post Study Work Visa (Employer Assisted) allows you to work for a specific employer for a further two years. To qualify your job must be relevant to your qualification, and you must have previously held a Post Study Work Visa (Open).

Staying permanently

After your Post Study Work Visa (Employer Assisted) you may qualify for a New Zealand resident visa under the Skilled Migrant Category. This visa uses a points system based on factors such as age, work experience, your qualifications, and an offer of skilled employment to determine eligibility.

Finding a job

It’s important to remember that there may be plenty of competition for jobs after you graduate, from both international and domestic students. Studying in an area of skill shortage may increase your chances of getting a job.
You may also find New Zealand’s job market different from what you are used to. The New Zealand Now website has information that can help you adjust your approach to meet employers expectations.